Thursday, July 9, 2009

another funny combo: growing belly and skinny jeans

Now that I've updated some posts on how crummy I felt in June, the really good news is that since July started, I've been feeling great. My energy is back, and I'm no longer crazy-starving, just regular hungry, and it's fun to eat again. I'm also able to get back to the gym and be more active, so I feel more like myself instead of a ballooning couch potato. It is such a relief--like the feeling you have after getting over a virus when you realize how wonderful it is to just feel normal. I'm still in my first trimester (I'm almost 11 weeks now, but I've learned that officially the first trimester lasts until 14 weeks, so just over three months), so I'm incredibly grateful to be feeling good again already.

The most fun thing about eating dinner now is that by the end of the day, when I eat, my belly literally doubles! I'm very solidly in the pot-belly stage, which means that I'm not officially "showing," but my belly is nonetheless making itself known. The book says that my uterus is now the size of a grapefruit, so since it's being such a space hog inside my belly (though won't start poking out till August), I guess as I eat throughout the day, my stomach has to expand somewhere, and the only place to go is out! It's hilarious. 

I got one of those belly bands (looks like a black tube top) that I wear over my perpetually unbuttoned jeans, and laugh at myself all day for walking around like that. I've also scoured some stores for still-cute but looser-fitting t-shirts, and thank goodness they're so in style. The other day I found this style from C & C California at Marshall's and bought it in three colors. Because of my short and, formerly, small frame, all of my shirts are on the shorter and tighter side, and none of them work anymore in this pot-belly stage. I've started putting them away in a storage bin so I don't put them on out of habit then recoil from the mirror.

I even busted out some skinny jeans yesterday (yes, ironic that gaining weight in the mid-section has led to skinny jeans--I didn't say I could button them) to wear with a longer, looser v-neck t-shirt that I just got from Madewell. I'd only worn these jeans with boots over them before, thinking that the skinny jeans/loose shirt look was for "the kids". But now that I'm switching to looser shirts, I need to balance the proportion, else I just look kind of dumpy. And I did a Google search on celebrity pregnancy styles and found this one over and over again, so while I do NOT claim to have Heidi Klum's canvas, I can at least mimic some styles. Anil said that being pregnant will probably make me wear cuter outfits because I have to think so much more about what I wear out of the house. He also almost had a hernia when my mom said, "Why don't you just get some stretch pants?" She hastily explained that she meant stretchy yoga pants, not the kind with stirrups, but the damage had already been done, ha ha. 

I'll add a food-baby-belly photo soon--I just need to stay in cute clothes long enough at night to have Anil take a picture of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment