Thursday, May 28, 2009

we made a cupcake


I'm starting this blog to chronicle Anil's and my adventures in our first pregnancy and beyond.

I took the pregnancy test on Sunday, May 24, after spending the weekend walking excessively, drinking beer, and eating a cheeseburger cooked to medium. I didn't think I was pregnant. In fact, right before I left work at Patagonia because I didn't feel well, I ate a coworker's leftover brie. Nice intuition, huh? I was so sure that I wasn't pregnant (at least that's what I was telling myself) that I bought a test after leaving work just to show myself that it was negative and I could stop thinking about it. I was a tiny bit late, but I was trusting a plastic, battery-operated fertility monitor over the method that women have use FOR CENTURIES to get a clue on whether they might be pregnant.

Bailey was the first one to hear the news, since he was right there. He got the first pregnancy hug, but then Anil was the first one to hug back, later that night. We went out to dinner at a BBQ restaurant down the street that has a fantastic beer selection, and I ordered a water with tears in my eyes. So far, not drinking beer feels more real than growing a baby. We're calling it "the cupcake" for now, because it makes me smile, and I think a cupcake is cuter and sweeter than a bun.


No comments:

Post a Comment